Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I wouldn't call myself a "foodie"...but I love food.

I recently checked out a new Thai spot in Bucktown Silom 12, now occupying the Old Cafe Matou space.  Aptly named after the popular Bangkok district Silom, where after nightfall the street changes from it's daytime "Wall Street" demeanor to a nightlife that comes alive for the next 12 hours.

The interior is hip, crisp and clean.  With soft lighting and some communal tables I feel as if I transported further than the few blocks traveled.
Staff is friendly and efficient.  The food is phenomenal and packs a flavorful "wow". The menu has something for everyone from traditional Thai dishes to a more contemporary spin and the chef specialties are where it's at!  Price points are in the $9 - $18 range, affording something for everyone.  
Downside, Silom 12 does not have outdoor seating, a must have for a Chi-Town summer but they do have doors that open wide to the sidewalk, prime seating for an outdoor-ish dining experience.  

Silom 12 : 1846 N. Milwaukee Avenue

Silom 12 : Bar Area
The bar area looks like its sure to be a bustling after work spot but for now they are B.Y.O.B. while they wait for their license.  If you are like me, you'll want to get in while you can still bring your bottle.  

A girl needs her wine so first I made a stop directly across the street at Red and White, which also happens to be one of my personal favorite wine shops so they deserve a mention.  They are refreshingly unpretentious, super informed and the environment is literally set up to welcome any questions.  Even for a wino like myself, they have tons of things I've never heard of.  They have varying price points and even brought in a couple options specifically to lend itself to Thai cuisine.  Red and White really is my go to shop for always gifting an amazing bottle of wine.  



Red and White : 1861 N. Milwaukee Avenue

No comments: